In fact, there are four different types and stages of hemorrhoids,4 types of hemorrhoids, 4 stages of hemorrhoids and 4 grades of hemorrhoids.
Hemorrhoids are something that you might not openly talk about with other people due to embarrassment. But then, you cannot hide this fact since it can be totally discomforting and painful. It can be itchy and looks inflamed all the time. When it bleeds, you might be in serious trouble. Hence, you need to know about the different types and stages of hemorrhoids by performing your own research and talking to the doctor about it.
Types and Stages of Hemorrhoids – An Overview
Hemorrhoids are the inflamed or swollen blood vessels throughout the anal area. It can be internal or those that develops within the anal canal or external that can be found outside the rectum. Among the major causes of this disease include constipation, poor diet, pregnancy, prolonged sitting and lack of physical activity.
The most common symptoms of this condition include the following:
- Mucus in stool
- Pain in the anal area
- Itching and burning sensation
- Feeling of fullness
4 Types of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids come in different types and each is characterized by varying levels of discomfort and pain. Here are the 4 major types:
- Internal – This happens when the internal veins are pressed with heavy pressure. The major sign is blood in the stool or tissue paper. It is also painful and can be a huge problem when it prolapsed. A prolapsed hemorrhoid means that it has slip down the anal cavity.
- External – These are the issues that prolapsed past the anal cavity. These are typically painful and prone to bleeding. These can also produce burning which can be very discomforting. External type can be thrombosed or prolapsed.
- Thrombosed – These are external hemorrhoids characterized by blood clots. The clots form when veins become inflamed and the blood supply is cut off. When this occurs, the hemorrhoids split and causes clot formation under the skin. This type can be extremely painful and requires surgery as treatment.
- Prolapsed – This is a type of internal hemorrhoids that slips below the anal cavity. This happens as the hemorrhoidal tissues become weak.
4 Stages or Grades of Hemorrhoids
This problem can be classified into four stages as follows:
- Grade 1 – It is characterized by an internal hemorrhoids that is still above the anal cavity or pectinate line. At this stage, pain is not yet evident since no signs are still present at this stage. But in some cases, mild discomfort and itching can be observed.
- Grade 2 – This stage marks the starting point of prolapsed. At this stage, the hemorrhoidal tissues begin to weaken and collapse making the condition slip out the anal canal, but reversible. Piles in second grade as typically annoying and painful.
- Grade 3 – These are also characterized by prolapsed, but they are not reversible. This means that the prolapsed hemorrhoid cannot be pushed back inside unlike in Grade 2. These cases are totally discomforting and painful and may bleed.
- Grade 4 – These cases overhang from the opening of the rectum and remain hanging outside. These are tremendously painful, prone to bleeding and infection.
By knowing about the condition as well as the types and stages of hemorrhoids, proper treatment can be obtained and implemented.